Friday 26 February 2010

The Living Years


I wasn't there that morning

When my Father passed away

I didn't get to tell him

All the things I had to say”

The Living Years, Mike & The Mechanics


This song could not be more appropriate.
In the early hours of that morning, thirteen years ago, when he passed on to a better life, I dreamt about him. I could see his smiling face telling me that everything was going to be all right. When I woke up I knew he was in a better place.
Daddy had been considered to be a confirmed bachelor for many years. That is until he met my mother. I came into his life when he should have probably been preparing to be come a grandfather. Although Daddy’s image of little girls was that flowery dresses, pig tails and a ladylike demeanour, he soon enough realised that I was not going to be such. Whilst I never really caused any serious trouble, I never knew how to stand still. If there was some degree of disappointment at my tom boyishness he hid it well. I am sure it amused him to buy me toy trucks for my birthday or my enthusiasm to run out and play football.
Daddy graduated as a lawyer but practiced as a notary all his life, gaining a wealth of experience. Gaining respect from peers and clients alike he was generous with his time. Patient, never tiring of explaining the same advice over and over again just to make sure that he was understood. He took pleasure in mentoring and guiding newly graduated lawyers and notaries, helping them make their way in the legal world.
Streetwise yet embracing strong principles he instilled in me values that I try to follow in my day to day life. Discipline and respect towards others was something that he made sure I learnt at a very young age even though my rebellious nature made it quite difficult for him to get it through to my young hard head. His experience in life gave him a wealth of wisdom that I sorely miss, especially when I need advice on career paths or choices that need to be made in life.
Over the years we had our fair share of arguments, but then again which teenager with a rebellious streak wouldn't? But I know that, never for a second, did he stop loving me and giving all his energies to ensure that I was successful in life.
It is a pity that he was not around to see me graduate, to see me successfuly complete Challenges like Kilimajaro and Lifecycle, that he wiill not be there to give me away when I get married. But he is with me in spirit and I know he is watching over me.
Today, thirteen years since he left us, I can truly appreciate all his efforts, all his patience and all his hard work......
.........I just wish I could have told him in the living years
Dedicated to my father, Notary Dr. Joseph Vella Galea LL.D, 27th February 1997

No comments: